Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Bleeding Hearts



I finished listening to Bertie Sings the Blues, which was interesting, lighthearted and profound in the way of McCall Smith and I also finished reading The Radiance of Tomorrow by Ishmael Beah, which was about what happened to some people from Sierra Leone after a fairly recent war. This book describes a reality that is hard to comprehend from extreme brutality and poverty to intelligent and insightful children and families trying to find hope and thrive within an insane system. I recommend this book.
I'm also working on a portrait of Jerry Garcia for a friend of mine. It's 24x30," which is really large for me and so far I'm working in acrylic. I thought I'd go wild with color and brushstrokes but that hasn't happened yet. Acrylic has the advantage of being easily thinned with water, so it can go on fast. I don't like to use a lot of gamsol in the house even if does it has low fumes, so I have to figure out a way to get my oils flowing. I also had in mind smoke rising because Jerry's smokin of course, but first I wanted to sort out my drawing and values as you can see isn't done yet. I have to use a second photo for his right hand because the hand is cut off in my first pic.Here's a pinterst site about the dead: http://www.pinterest.com/hookakat1/

No comments: