Sunday, September 03, 2017

Head Studies - Zorn Palette






I've been painting portraits on Wednesday afternoons at the Southern Atelier's open studio. http://southernatelier.org/  It's been 3 or 4 years since I've painted from life and I'm really loving it. I started using the Zorn palette. I'm using it for simplicity, unity and the convenience of only carrying 4 tubes of paint. I have a great travel set up, which includes a sterilite plastic container that holds my paper palette, (It fits perfectly in the freezer) medium, towels and paint, and a separate plastic container for my brushes, mirror, knife, etc. That all fits in a bag, along with my smock. I have a drawing board on which I tape a sheet of Canson oil paper.  In my limited Zorn palette experience, I've already switched out my Windsor yellow ochre for M Graham's. The WN is too green and has no tinting power. The top painting is with MG. What a difference in color! Thanks for stopping by.




No comments: